Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
rivi3, 10 June 2017, 01:37
I'm wondering if anyone else has been feeling the same.

Ever since last month, I've just found car-spotting boring lately. I don't know why though. Whenever I go out of the house to go to New Canaan, it's not really about seeing cars anymore. It's more that I want to get out of the house, get some exercise, listen to music on my phone, and just be alone with my own thoughts. I'm really not sure what's going on, but I just don't take the same joy in car-spotting that I used to anymore.

Has anyone else been feeling the same way?

rivi3
from New York
ExoticSam, 10 June 2017, 02:53
I feel exactly the same way

ExoticSam
from Cape Cod, Massachusetts
waddle2gracious, 10 June 2017, 03:01
Some days I just don't feel like spotting, but I don't really get to spot significant cars too often (I usually have to go at least 30-40 mins away from my house to spot cars I haven't seen before). Therefore, I always look forward to going to places like Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami.

waddle2gracious
from Florida
pdkcars, 11 June 2017, 05:02
Spotting for me was difficult and hard to do before March, I rarely ever got the opportunity. So it was still as exciting as when I first started. Afterwards I somehow managed to get as many spots as 2015 and 2016 combined within just three months. For me it depends on location. I've been to La Cantera for spotting countless times and it is starting to get boring. But if I go to new places to spot it's interesting because you don't know what you're going to see. I guess it also depends on what you've seen before and how many times you've seen it. If I'd successfully gotten pictures of 10+ 488s/F12/Astons/other rare cars and etc. then I'm pretty sure I'd be less enthusiastic myself. But there's still so much I haven't gotten pictures of and/or haven't seen. I just saw a Rapide S for the first time, outside of seeing one at a dealership three years ago, today. Pretty cool. I think as I see more stuff it'll get less interesting but right now I don't think I'll get bored of it. I do use it as a way to get out and do stuff though.
Last modified by pdkcars, 11 June 2017, 05:04

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
REPTILE_NW, 12 June 2017, 16:47
I find this crazy. I live in a city that is not very good for spotting. I know its different for people who live in cities where they spot 25+ exotics a day and see maserati's and bentley's as "not spot worthy". while many people rarely see those cars outside of shows, and consider spotting something like a 918 or veyron as impossible. So when you cry about being bored about seeing cars you see as bad, while many people on this site would love to see the cars you see, it makes you seem very douchey.

REPTILE_NW
from Portland, Oregon
MystSpot, 12 June 2017, 23:15
You guys are just getting older and the amount of spots you get are based on previous experience. I see a lot of nice cars out there but unless it really stands out I wouldn't take my time and snap a pic.

MystSpot
ethanmckinley1, 12 June 2017, 23:24
REPTILE_NW wrote:
I find this crazy. I live in a city that is not very good for spotting. I know its different for people who live in cities where they spot 25+ exotics a day and see maserati's and bentley's as "not spot worthy". while many people rarely see those cars outside of shows, and consider spotting something like a 918 or veyron as impossible. So when you cry about being bored about seeing cars you see as bad, while many people on this site would love to see the cars you see, it makes you seem very douchey.

YES! Preach! I completely agree! I can't count how many times I've seen spotters that spot in L.A, London, etc. that spot McLarens, Ferraris, Bentleys, Rolls Royce's and more and then say "I didn't see much today". I also live in Portland and it's been quite a while since I spotted cars that you would probably see every day in other places like Beverly Hills or London. ( I go spotting every weekend). *I'm not saying at all this applies to all spotters in wealthy cities. Everything aside I can kind of understand how a Bentley or a regular 488 would not be considered as rare when you would see them kind of often.

ethanmckinley1
from Portland, Oregon
rivi3, 13 June 2017, 00:15
REPTILE_NW wrote:

Lmfao what the f*ck? That's not what I'm saying at all??????

I'm talking about the fact that the sport of spotting itself gets repetitive. "Oh look, car!" *takes picture*, *edits picture*, *posts on IG*, *do it again*. Like it's just not as fun for me as it used to be. I just find it more to be a chore rather than a hobby now. Maybe it's because I'm getting older? I just don't know.

rivi3
from New York
ethanmckinley1, 13 June 2017, 01:19
rivi3 wrote:
REPTILE_NW wrote:

Lmfao what the f*ck? That's not what I'm saying at all??????

I'm talking about the fact that the sport of spotting itself gets repetitive. "Oh look, car!" *takes picture*, *edits picture*, *posts on IG*, *do it again*. Like it's just not as fun for me as it used to be. I just find it more to be a chore rather than a hobby now. Maybe it's because I'm getting older? I just don't know.

Ok. Yeah, I kinda see where you're coming from.

ethanmckinley1
from Portland, Oregon
pdkcars, 13 June 2017, 17:04
REPTILE_NW wrote:
So when you cry about being bored about seeing cars you see as bad, while many people on this site would love to see the cars you see, it makes you seem very douchey.

Lmao... what??!?!

1) Nobody is crying. 2) How would that make anyone douchey anyway? It's just spotting it's nothing more than that.

I used to get excited over base model C7s and a lot of not really spot worthy cars not too long ago. I still notice them. But it's pretty natural to get used to seeing them when each time you go out to the mall there's 4 sitting not so far from each other and that's just in a small area. I do get excited over Bentleys and Ferraris and Lamborghinis and there is only one hyper car owner in town with a LaF and 918. But I can sort of understand somebody getting bored if they see those cars all of the time.

I have no idea why you got so defensive lol...

@Rivitography: I dunno, I try to find some way to improve editing-wise with each shot I edit. Try not to make it as much as a chore as possible. I'm pretty new to Lightroom but still I can see so many areas where I could improve and it's kind of fun to try new editing techniques.
Last modified by pdkcars, 13 June 2017, 17:08

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Werner, 13 June 2017, 17:44
I mainly just spot whenever I'm in town. Like yesterday, at Lowes, I saw my first Maserati Levante. Two days ago, I saw two Gallardos, a GTR, and a large swarm of bees.

I also have several hobbies;
Bookmaking
Coin Collecting (from circulation. Amazing what you can find)
Car Spotting
and a website, Potatoes4Life!, just to name a few.
Last modified by Werner, 13 June 2017, 17:44

Werner
from Coeur d'Alene, United States
waddle2gracious, 13 June 2017, 19:12
Werner wrote:
I mainly just spot whenever I'm in town. Like yesterday, at Lowes, I saw my first Maserati Levante. Two days ago, I saw two Gallardos, a GTR, and a large swarm of bees.

Bookmaking
Car Spotting

The Levante at Lowe's is rare enough! I live in Florida and the best thing I've seen there is a smashed-up shopping cart.
Last modified by waddle2gracious, 13 June 2017, 19:12

waddle2gracious
from Florida
ethanmckinley1, 13 June 2017, 23:01
Werner wrote:

Bookmaking
Car Spotting

I used to do coin roll hunting. Are you familiar with that?

ethanmckinley1
from Portland, Oregon
Lamborarri, 14 June 2017, 02:17
For me, spotting isn't necessarily boring, it's just that I don't have as much time for it these days so if I see something like a 911 or a Bentley I'm not as inclined to stop for it or intentionally take a picture since over the years I have seen plenty of those. My area is tough sometimes because as soon as the clouds turn even close to dark or a drizzle of rain falls, you won't even see a base Mustang. So for me what I take pictures of and how I spot depends fully on the weather, though on an average day when I do have time I'm not normally taking pictures of "lower-level" cars because just yesterday a 918 and LaFerrari were both seen less than 30 minutes from my house and both of them were in suburbs, not Chicago proper, and cars like this are sometimes driven fairly often.

Lamborarri
from Illinois
bullchaser, 30 June 2017, 01:47
ethanmckinley1 wrote:
Werner wrote:

Bookmaking
Car Spotting

I used to do coin roll hunting. Are you familiar with that?

I'm a coin collector too! :D

bullchaser
from Illinois
Post a reply