Forum  •  Rules!  •  Active topics  •  Search
rivi3, 01 March 2017, 03:13
So. California is a place that I am seriously considering moving to once I graduate college and my student loans are paid off. I'm considering moving there because:

. There are wide opportunities of jobs available (especially in the graphic design industry, which is my major)
. Warm weather, lots of sunshine, no snow (makes for great photos)
. Lots of beach area where I could surf or go for a swim
. Cars of all types in all conditions whether it's supercars, classic cars, foreign cars, or diamonds in the rough
. More action (police chases, wildfires, etc.)
. Lots more to do in terms of places to walk around. (There's no such thing as sidewalks where I live)

So, any California residents wanna chime in and tell me whether it's a good idea to move from New York to Cali?
Last modified by rivi3, 01 March 2017, 03:15

rivi3
from New York
r8lover, 01 March 2017, 03:25
I don't recommend moving somewhere for the cars lol.

I'd look at more things such as salary of your desired field out there as well as the actual cost of living where the jobs are. One doesn't need to live there to know California is pretty expensive, granted New York isn't exactly the cheapest place either.
Deleted account
davisvehicles, 01 March 2017, 04:33
Basically what he said ^
but saying that, I do plan on moving to California after college as well. Currently second semester freshman at UW Madison and am quite ready to get out of this boring state. But i'm not doing it just for cars and weather, although those are up sides for sure. Mainly the abundance of jobs and I have a internship lined up for the summer of 18. Plus half my family is out there, so it makes sense. Usually more expensive cost of living = a lot more high paying jobs, but not always. If you don't have a job/internship lined up before making the move I wouldnt do it.

davisvehicles
from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Werner, 01 March 2017, 05:42
I have heard that they might try to succeed from the US because of President Trump. Not a terrible thing, because the cars would move here, but still a consideration. There would be high taxes.
Last modified by Werner, 01 March 2017, 05:45

Werner
from Coeur d'Alene, United States
FanOfSuperCars, 01 March 2017, 06:21
rivi3 wrote:
So. California is a place that I am seriously considering moving to once I graduate college and my student loans are paid off. I'm considering moving there because:

. There are wide opportunities of jobs available (especially in the graphic design industry, which is my major)
. Cars of all types in all conditions whether it's supercars, classic cars, foreign cars, or diamonds in the rough
. Lots more to do in terms of places to walk around. (There's no such thing as sidewalks where I live)

So, any California residents wanna chime in and tell me whether it's a good idea to move from New York to Cali?

A couple things:

1. What r8lover said.

2. I don't think having your house burned down by a wild fire is an upside?
Last modified by FanOfSuperCars, 01 March 2017, 06:22

FanOfSuperCars
from Middle Of The Ocean, Unknown Country
Star080, 01 March 2017, 07:07
Werner wrote:
I have heard that they might try to succeed from the US because of President Trump. Not a terrible thing, because the cars would move here, but still a consideration. There would be high taxes.

Mentioning California's tax rate, it reminds me that when I was travelling in LA, a Uber driver told me that some of the people he knew in LA moved to Vegas due to the lower tax rate there...

Star080
Mazdafreak, 01 March 2017, 15:19
rivi3 wrote:

The scenery is great, and there are tons of nice cars around, but you have to be making a KILLING to afford to live there. The statewide median home price in California is about $430,000, but in the nicer areas it's pushing $1,000,000. Three Californians move out of the state for every person that moves into California (because lower- and middle-class residents can't afford anything). If you're going to have student loans (if you want my advice, avoid student loans at all costs; there's no such thing as good debt) and other payments like that, move somewhere that doesn't tax the hell out of you (like us in the south :D). According to CNN, Californians are selling their houses for an AVERAGE of almost $500,000 and buying new homes in other states for just over $300,000, plus the new homes are often larger and the cost of living is less.

Mazdafreak
from North Carolina
davisvehicles, 01 March 2017, 18:43
Star080 wrote:
Werner wrote:
I have heard that they might try to succeed from the US because of President Drumpf. Not a terrible thing, because the cars would move here, but still a consideration. There would be high taxes.

Mentioning California's tax rate, it reminds me that when I was travelling in LA, a Uber driver told me that some of the people he knew in LA moved to Vegas due to the lower tax rate there...

Lots of places in the US like this though.. Chicago, Seattle have more than LA.
I do agree with what's been said here, I am fortunate enough that I wont have student loans and I have family out there. But there are areas that are insanely expensive. My aunts two bedroom townhouse in the silicon valley is 1 million dollars.

davisvehicles
davisvehicles, 01 March 2017, 18:43
This post was deleted 04 March 2017, 18:54 by davisvehicles

davisvehicles
Forzafaithful99, 01 March 2017, 19:38
rivi3 wrote:

I also think that it would fantastic to live in California- but like others have been saying; the cost of living is significantly higher than most everywhere else in the US. This summer I'm going to drive out with some friends just to check it out; but I don't see myself actually living there until I am in a very solid position financially.

Forzafaithful99
pdkcars, 03 March 2017, 02:37
Mazdafreak wrote:
The statewide median home price in California is about $430,000, but in the nicer areas it's pushing $1,000,000.

Not to brag but that is one reason I'm most likely going to stay in Texas lol. Houses are just stupid expensive everywhere else. Here you can buy a really aesthetic and big (3200sqft for example) house for $350-450K. A house that big and that nice inside and out would cost you about $850K in California. It's incredibly cheap here in terms of comparison. West Austin is where I'd like to live.
Last modified by pdkcars, 03 March 2017, 02:38

pdkcars
from San Antonio, Texas
Werner, 03 March 2017, 05:15
I am in Elk, Washington, outside of Spokane. KEEP AWAY! Spokane is not a pleasant place. It is old in they way by which I mean it was in good repair during the 70s. I have seen a ~1200 sq ft house in CDA Idaho go for about $100,000. I just got here some months ago though.

That being said, a huge house (my version of a mansion), with an excellent lake view was for sale at ~$10,000,000. It didn't even have a garage.
Last modified by Werner, 03 March 2017, 05:18

Werner
from Coeur d'Alene, United States
sumosloths, 04 March 2017, 16:23
I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life and it's still my favorite place in the world. Even if you're not into cars, there's just always something to do and things to see and places to go and people to meet. It's a really beautiful place too, so many different environments all in one big state. I'm not sure how easy it is to move here now since the cost of living is so high, I'm just lucky enough to already be here.

Also Teslas. Teslas everywhere.

sumosloths
from South San Francisco, California
rivi3, 04 March 2017, 18:14
Oh my god I didn't expect the amount of negative responses on here lmao. Hopefully I do make it big and I can live there if I wanted to.

rivi3
from New York
davisvehicles, 04 March 2017, 18:54
sumosloths wrote:
I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life and it's still my favorite place in the world. Even if you're not into cars, there's just always something to do and things to see and places to go and people to meet. It's a really beautiful place too, so many different environments all in one big state. I'm not sure how easy it is to move here now since the cost of living is so high, I'm just lucky enough to already be here.

Also Teslas. Teslas everywhere.

I agree with this. Northern California is much more interesting than Southern, but SoCal has a tad better weather.

davisvehicles
Post a reply